- China Unicom (CHU.NYSE) has recently announced the launch of China Unicom Big Data Co., Ltd., as reported by Sohu Tech.
- In addition, China Unicom has formed a strategic partnership with China’s leading bank-card network operator, China Unionpay, in multiple areas including data resources, technology, and product development.
Why It Matters:
- Prior to the launch of China Unicom Big Data, China Unicom has been providing big data services for five years and the company is experienced in data collection, storage and analysis, and commercialization and operation of big data services.
- As China Unicom is finalizing its mixed-ownership reform and has recently introduced several non-state-owned Chinese internet technology companies as strategic investors, the company launched the big data arm in order to better coordinate with these investors and to improve its services.
- Tencent Holdings (0700.HK), Baidu Inc. (BIDU.NASDAQ), Alibaba Group (BABA.NYSE), and JD.COM (JD.NASDAQ) are among the non-state-owned strategic investors.